Saturday, October 7, 2023

What?!? Pare Down the Stash?

We had an email sent to our guild from a lady stating that she has a terminal illness and she was trying to sell off her elaborate fabric stash so her husband wouldn't have to deal with it later. She stated in a second email that it would really help her out. 

I asked at our Stitch and Pray on Thursday if anyone was interested in going.  One said yes, she wanted to go and two of them asked if they could send money and us just grab some for them.

So on a Friday Pam and I left at about 8:00.  I figured 2 hours drive, spend about an hour with fabric, lunch and 2 hours back home, we should be back about 2:30.  NOT!!!!  After 2 1/2 hours in the first walk in closet full of fabric we still had 2 more rooms to go.  I believe we emptied four 4 drawer file cabinets that she had full.

We ended up coming home with 208 yards of fabric for $3 per yard!!!!  Pam and I went through it and got out what we had picked out specifically for ourselves and then called the other two to come and pick out theirs.  Then Pam and I split what was left.  I ended up with 80+ yards to be able to "shop" from in my own stash.

This picture doesn't include the two Dream Big Panels and two Butterfly Panels that I got.


The fact that this lady was doing this for her husband shows how much she cares.  She kept some fabrics in her sewing room for when she has good days.  I will say a prayer for her each time I pull one of these fabrics (among other times).

Wishing you more stitchin time than I will have.
Rose

1 comment:

Linda said...

What a great act of selflessness on her part and kindness on your part! That fabric will be very special to you.