Thursday, August 25, 2022

10 days to spare

 I got it done!!!!

After I finished quilting the middle I rotated it and shifted to the right so I could quilt the edge.  Once I finished that, I shifted it to the left and quilted all the way to the other edge.  Then I rotated it 180 degrees and repeated the process to get the whole thing quilted.

But first, I was 2 blocks from having the middle done.  It was 5:00pm Thursday evening, it takes 14 minutes to complete a block.  I said I can be finished by 5:30 then I can rotate it tomorrow and finish it over the weekend.



Then this happened.  Out of thread.  The Aurifil was in the bobbin and the King Tut on the Handi Quilter.  Okay, running out of thread is no big deal, right? EXCEPT, I usually cut, tie, and pull the thread through.  But now I have to get the manual out to find out how to thread the machine.  5:30 came and went and I wasn't finished.  Oh well.


So Friday after work I finished the 2 blocks and took the rest of the evening off.  Saturday morning I took it off the frame and rotated it, pinned it back to the leaders and continued.  By 10:00 am I was here.  One more shift and 3 half blocks to finish.


Got it done!!!  Hoo rah!!!!

I took it to the LQS to get help with the binding decision.  I knew Emily would help.  Was I going to use the backing (plaid) and do a biased binding or was I going to use the reds from the top and do a scrappy binding (my norm).  Emily chose scrappy so that's what I went with.

So Saturday afternoon I added the binding.


Sunday, labeled and washed and dried and crinkled.



I had a couple of ladies from Thursday stitching hold it for the picture.  Now I can put it on the bed in the motorhome.

I packed up my featherweight from stitching to take on our trip.  We leave on Wednesday and I can't wait.  We have arranged for a friend to stay at the house and look after the dogs. 

I'm not doing too good with my PHDs but I'll get there.


Wishing you more stitchin time than I will have.
Rose












2 comments:

mfason said...

Rose: Still keeping up with you and hope that you are doing well! We (Blake Madison and me at Rosen Harwood) miss you terribly being at the ADOR, but I hope you're enjoying your "new" job. I guess it's not new anymore. Anyway, I LOVE this quilt! It is beautiful! I haven't quilted as much this summer and fall as I wanted. We're doing a major remodel at our home, but hope to get to stitchin' again soon. Hope you're doing well!

Michelle Fason

Linda said...

Beautiful quilt Rose! Love the scrappy binding, good decision.