Sunday, October 6, 2024

Lessons learned

 I love learning lessons, but not at the expense of ripping the quilting on an entire quilt.  And that's exactly what happened.

I quilted a customer quilt using this pantograph from Urban Elementz called Christmas Doodle



When I advanced the quilt for the last row this is what I saw. 


Now, mind you, I already had to repair a seam, and I wondered how long she had been quilting when this was made.

BUT....I didn't baste as I went so, I couldn't be sure if it was her piecing or my quilting (I consider myself fairly new at this).  First lesson learned or so I thought.

So, let's back up a bit.  The backing was pieced and when it was loaded on the frame the piece that was inserted was tighter than the ones on either side.  Can you say, "wavy border syndrome"?  This was actually the first lesson learned.  

Then, the plan was to use a same light gray thread top and bobbin.  But, while we stitch the top down with the channel locks on so we know it's straight, we'll just use the thread that's on there.  Lesson 2 learned.  White Glide on top, Bottom Line in the bobbin and I forgot to change the thread before starting to quilt.  When the bobbin ran out, I put the gray bobbin in.  

Now, let the frogging begin (rip it, rip it).  A friend had shown me how to rip while the quilt is still on the frame making it easier.  You pull up on the top thread and it will rip about an inch to an inch and a half, you snip the bobbin thread and pull again for another inch or so.  Let me tell you, signature thread in the bobbin won't do that.  Only two or three stitches at a time would rip.  It took 20-30 minutes per tree and there were 7 trees per row.  When I got up to where the bottom line was in the bobbin it went as planned with the inch or so pulling each time.  Lesson 3 learned.  Bottom Line ONLY in the bobbin.  I don't care how many colors I have to buy, this is the new rule for me.  25+ hours later we are back at square one.

Start over with the quilting.  This time I set the channel locks and basted across each seam.  It was not my quilting.  Each row had a little puckering and I even had to create a tuck in one of them.  All of the puckering was on one side. So this was actually lesson 4 learned (baste).

It is now complete, still a slight curve at the bottom, but not as bad as it was.



It was one of the first quilts she made.  And she is pleased with it.  

So, until next time.


Wishing you more stitchin time than I will have.  Good luck with that, I'm headed to retreat this week.

Rose

1 comment:

Linda said...

I am used to stitching on my wavy, uneven quilts - lol! Thanks for the tip on how to frog more easily. I have pulled out stitches while the quilt was on the frame, and I do find it easier than pulling it off. Looks like you did a beautiful job, and if she is happy with it, can't do much better than that. :)