Saturday, July 29, 2023

Yet Another PHD in July YAY!!!

 But, before we get to that.  My friend is going to be a grandmother!! And it's a boy!!  So, she and I learned how to use the "new to me" embroidery machine together.  Here is the result.


Didn't it turn out precious.

Now on to the PHD.

I joined a QAL in 2019.  Sew-lets-quilt-along hosted by Inquiringquilter among others.  I made the first 6 or 7 blocks and then decided I really didn't want a quilt made with these blocks.  I put them in a tub and there they have mulled.  They also mulled in my mind over and over and over.  For the PHD challenge hosted by Quiltinggail, this had to get done.  I wanted it out of the tub (and my mind) but I didn't want a quilt.  So this week I got to work.

All of the blocks were 12" except the first one so it became a cover for my Sweet Sixteen.  No pattern, just improvise.  Not a perfect fit but it works.


The next two blocks became a cover for my serger.  One on each side.

Front

Back

And another two blocks made a cover for the "Cadillac" I posted about here.
Front

Back

Again, no pattern, just threw them together.  I put the rest of the blocks in my tub of orphan blocks and I'm calling this project complete.

Here is my July PHD report.


My sewing posse laughs at me because I have a list of projects 65 items long.  I have completed 15 this year with this finish and I'm not counting the baby quilt above (that one was Amy's project) and I have scrapped 3.  At this point there are no more half finished tops except the leader/ender, the antique blocks (I plan to take it to retreat in October), and the one I work on at stitching on Thursdays (also going to retreat).  There are purchased kits, some self kitted and some patterns/planned.

I have 5 tops waiting to be quilted.  I didn't load one this week as we are headed out on a trip in the motorhome on Saturday.  For a month!!!  I wasn't going to take my sewing machine because I didn't want to take time away from my siblings.  But, I get up between 4 and 5 each morning so I plan to do some stitching while I wait for everyone else to rise.  Besides, I told DH that I am addicted and I don't believe I could make it a whole month without sewing something!!!!😉  I have a precut miniature storm at sea that won't take up much room.

One last thing.  Four of us (sewing posse) went to the movie to see....

This is a MUST SEE movie.

Wishing you more stitchin time than I will have.
Rose

Linking with quiltinggail.com

6 comments:

Linda said...

Rose you are amazing. LOVE the embroidered baby quilt that you made with your friend. I bought a used embroidery machine a few months ago and still haven't tried it out, but you are inspiring me to try it. What clever covers you have made for your sewing and quilting machines. I should cover my Simply Sixteen because it really does get dusty. Hope you are staying cool!

Quilting Gail said...

I absolutely LOVE what you have done with those sewing blocks!!!! It's the perfect solution and they look fabulous covering your machines!!!
And the baby quilt is SEW cute!!!
You are doing amazing with your PHD / UFOs!!! Way to go!!
Thanks for linking to PHD in 2023!!!
quilting gail

dq said...

Turning those quilt blocks into machine covers was a great idea!
You are coming along nicely on your PHD this year. Keep going strong!

maggie fellow said...

that was a great save for your un quilt blocks - they are so cute and now they are useful - congrats on your numbers

Brenda @ Songbird Designs said...

Your embroidered quilt is awesome and I really love your cover for your Sweet 16. Perfect block to make the cover!!

Susie H said...

Great way to get those blocks into useful items and out of the UFO pile!