Saturday, November 27, 2021

A Wonderful Surprise and Another Finish

 Let me set the scene...

It's Thanksgiving morning, DD and 2 grands came early to help get the bird in the oven.  With that complete, the side dishes ready to bake, granddaughter (Lump) from Kansas, here visiting with her mother, arrives to spend the afternoon with us.  I'm gathering the Thanksgiving dishes and flatware, pulling out the serving spoons when I look up and there in real life is our son from Kansas standing in front of me.  I latched onto his neck and he held tight while I sobbed.  I haven't seen him since June.  When I finally let go I realized his wife was standing behind him.  Another hug and more sobbing.

Next, it's dads turn.  DS walks into the living room without saying anything and stood in front of his dad until he looked up.  Another locking hug and hold on while dad sobs.  He hasn't seen him in a year.

Any of you that have followed along with our story know that DS and Lump lived with us for 4 years before moving to Kansas in August 2020.

What a wonderful Thanksgiving surprise.



They stayed until Saturday morning and then headed back to Kansas.

The quilt that I had on the frame when they arrived was for their second oldest.  So I got it finished while they did some Christmas shopping and they took both of the oldest girls' quilts home with them.  One got the Morewood Mystery QAL made with black and white fabrics and the other got this Morewood Mystery QAL made from my stash.


I love the after quilt on the back as much as the front.  I used up all of the fabric.


This is #11 of my PHDs


I have surprised myself at what I have accomplished this year.  With a little encouragement (thank you quiltinggail.com) and a lot of determination, I am amazed.

I'm hoping to complete one more before the end of the year.  Not sure how that's gonna go.

Wishing you more stitchin time than I will have.

Rose


Linking with:



7 comments:

scraphappy said...

What a wonderful surprise. So happy that you got to see your family. I am sure they were happy to take home a finished quilt as well. Beautiful family and beautiful quilt!

Juliana said...

I loved that your son just kind of appeared in front of you and then in front of your husband!! I can imagine the joy and deep feelings you must have felt. I'm so glad he was able to surprise you with this visit. Hooray for being able to send new quilts home with the granddaughters!! A quilty hug from grandma all year long.

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving! I'm so happy for you, getting to see your son and daughter-in-law after so long. The quilt is beautiful, too.

Vicki in MN said...

You sure had a wonderful Thanksgiving! And a beautiful quilt going home with them.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

That was the sweetest surprise EVER! What a wonderful finish and good for you to have completed so many projects this year! Good for you!

Sandy Panagos said...

What a wonderful surprise! Your quilt finish is beautiful, and good for you getting so much done this year!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

It sounds like a heartwarming reunion! Beautiful quilt gift, too!!!